2019 Classic

The 2019 Blue River Fly Classic will be held on March 2nd, 2019.

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Another Mystery Fly Candidate

With the Christmas shopping season in full swing I had my own list to fill today, but before I could effectively concentrate on gifts that will win me another years favor (hopefully), I had trout and testing another Mystery Fly candidate on my mind.

Arriving at the river around 9 a.m., I tied on yesterday's Mystery Fly candidate to see if it would fish at another spot on the river - the Flats.

It did.

I fished yesterdays selection in the Flats and the pattern quickly found three trout.  Then I retired him to the sea locker and enlisted the second Mystery Fly candidate of the day.  This pattern would explore the Chute just downstream from the Flats

At the Chute the discipline I take is to stand at it's tail and cast upstream to the opening, throw slack line immediately, then hold rod high to eliminate drag.  The takes are beautiful to watch particularly with the water being crystal as it is and the bonus is seeing the flash of the bow as they devour the fly.

The second candidate took six trout from the Chute is rather quick order.  This Mystery Fly candidate is one I begin fishing two years ago on the advice of another fly angler whom I cannot name at this time since this pattern is in the running for Mystery Fly selectee 2019 Classic. It's a great pattern and almost always seems to produce.

There are many more patterns to test and I am glad to volunteer in the testing.  Quite understandable, right?



See you on the river.


Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment